- Sharon Ladenson (Chair)
- Joshua Barton
- Chris DeFord
- Erica Ervin
- Navidad Gonzalez
- Jon Harrison
- Ranti Junus
- Carol Lunce
- Jill Morningstar
- Emily Treptow
- Tina Qin
Promoting Diversity in Librarianship
Charge of the Diversity Advisory Committee:
In conjunction with appropriate Libraries' staff, plan public programming on diversity and inclusion for
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day in support of the University theme, and
- Other similar diversity events/celebrations, as needed.
- In conjunction with Libraries' Human Resources, identify and recommend programming on diversity and inclusion for staff.
- The Diversity Committee Chair keeps the AD for Public Services informed of activities.
- 2014 MLK, Jr. Commemorative Celebration Library Exhibit Exhibits
- 2013 MLK, Jr. Commemorative Celebration Library Exhibit Exhibits
|Mid-May-Mid August 2013||Arab Americans||Deborah Margolis, Jon Harrison|
|Mid-August to September 2013||
One Book (Hui Hua & Chris) Jon will be also doing an exhibit on 3W related to One Book.
|Hui Hua, Chris DeFord, Jon Harrison|
|October-December 2013||Upper Peninsula Miner’s Strike||Deborah Margolis, Michael Rodriguez|
|January-February 2014||Martin Luther King Jr. Anniversary "Struggle for Equality: Past, Present, and Future"||Bojana Skarich, Erica Ervin, Chris DeFord|
|March-April 2014||Women's History||Sharon Ladenson|
|May-June 2014||Teacher Appreciation & Diverse Children’s Literature||Jill Morningstar|
Observance of Holidays:
This project was started to inform library staff who are scheduling library events of the observance of some religious holidays that might prevent some staff from attending the event. The spreadsheet below is updated yearly for a set of major holidays identified by the Diversity Committee.
Holiday Calendar Spreadsheet (use MSU NetID to view in GoogleApps)
Diversity Resources in the MSU Libraries
We have a number of Diversity Research Guides to help you find books, journals and movies by or about African Americans, Arab Americans, Asian Americans, Native Americans, Latinos, Jewish, Muslim and other religious groups, LGBTQ persons, and other populations.
Promoting Diversity Opportunities in Librarianship:
- Association of Research Libraries Diversity Initiatives, including Initiative to Recruit a Diverse Workforce
- American Library Association Office of Diversity, including Spectrum Scholarships
- ACE (Academic and Cultural Enrichment) Scholars Program (UNC)
- ASCLA Century Scholars for Students with Disabilities
- 2012 Joint Conference of Librarians of Color Conference
- LIS Access Midwest Program (LAMP)
- REFORMA Scholarship
- Training Institute for Early Career Librarians from Traditionally Underrepresented Groups (UMN)
- ALA Annual Diversity Research Grant
- "Creating Inclusive Excellence" (MSU Office for Inclusion and Intercultural Initiatives)
Services for Persons with Disabilities
If you are in need of assistance using the library, please visit the Services for Persons with Disabilities page.