Michigan State University

Branch History

Vernon G. Grove

The mathematics/mathematical statistics collection at MSU was originally housed in the Main Library. When the Physics-Astronomy-Mathematics Building opened in 1949, a branch library was created in that building which housed mathematics, physics, and astronomy materials. In 1967, the Departments of Mathematics and Statistics & Probability moved to the new Wells Hall on the south side of the Red Cedar River. The mathematics materials were moved to A304 Wells Hall near the departmental offices. The library was named in honor of Vernon G. Grove, professor of mathematics at MSU from 1920-1958, for "his major role in establishing a tradition of distinguished mathematical research and scholarship" at MSU.
In 1968 the Department of Mathematics was awarded a National Science Foundation Centers of Excellence grant and a significant portion of that grant was used for new physical facilities for the library and expansion of the collection. The Vernon G. Grove Research Library, popularly referred to as the Mathematics Library, opened in 1970 on the first floor of the 3-story D-wing of Wells Hall. An atrium reaching all three stories enhances the contemplative environment of 7,000 sq. ft. and its comfortable seating for 70. The full-time staff consists of a library assistant and a librarian.