Material could be sent to labeling in small batches marked process for Faculty Book Collection. Once a year a large quantity of titles will be processed and brought to labeling on a book truck(s) with the label: Faculty Book Collection.
- Pieces will get MSU ownership stamps, call number labels, and date dues. Date dues should be placed on the first fly leaf of all pieces, unless the first fly is the title page. If the title page would be covered by the date due, place the date due on the inside cover or tip it in.
- Pieces with paper covers will have a plastic book jacket cover placed around the paper cover. A call number label will be placed on the paper cover before it is covered with the plastic. The book will get a call number label on it even if covered with the book jacket.
All pieces will get a label stating:
- If there isn't a paper cover, this label will be placed above the call number label on the spine of the book.
- If there is a paper cover, this label should be placed on the spine of the paper cover underneath the plastic book jacket cover, above the call number label.
- The MSU Faculty Book Coll. label will NOT be placed on the book, if there is a paper cover.
- If the width of the call number label or width of the Faculty Coll. label requires one of the labels to be on the front of the book, place BOTH labels on the front of the piece.
- If the labels need to go on the front of the piece, the MSU Faculty Book Coll. label should be placed UNDERNEATH the call number label on the front of the piece.
- Books should be kept together either in the batch or on the truck they came to labeling on. Special instructions will usually be included to return all material to Sara.
- Bar codes and shields will be placed on the back cover of the pieces. If there is a plastic book jacket cover, the bar code will be placed on the cover, and on the back of the piece.
- For bar code quality control verify that the ICode2 has an "f" to identify it as a Faculty Book, and that the bib record has the 590 note, "MSU Faculty Book Collection."
- For additional questions see Cataloging's Faculty Book Collection procedure.