University Archives & Historical Collections (UAHC) serves the public by making historical materials available for research. Our policies and procedures balance the needs of researchers with the long-term preservation and security of our holdings.
In an effort to protect our patrons and staff during the COVID-19 pandemic, the MSU Libraries is limiting public access points. The UAHC Reading Room at Conrad Hall will remain closed. Public access will be served from the Stephen O. Murray and Keelung Hong Special Collections Reading Room located in the Main Library building. We will have limited hours for patrons to use our collections by appointment only.
Rules and regulations
- Each researcher in the UAHC must complete a researcher application form and present photo identification. Please note that data from this form are for statistical purposes.
- Materials from the UAHC must be used in the reading room. No materials may be checked out or leave the premises.
- Please leave all personal belongings in the lockers. Take to the table only what you need for research.
- Pencils are the only writing implements allowed in the reading room. No pens allowed.
- Laptops are permitted, and free wireless internet is available.
- No food or drink allowed in the archives.
- Handle all materials carefully.
- When handling documents and volumes, please keep the materials flat on the table.
- Keep all materials in the folder they came from and in the same order.
- Please turn off cell phones or set to vibrate. If you must take a call, please leave the reading room.
Virtual tour of the Conrad Hall entry and the UAHC Reading Room is available to view before visiting.
The use of certain materials is restricted for legal reasons or by the request of the donor. UAHC also reserves the right to restrict access to materials that are not arranged or are exceptionally fragile. In some cases, preservation copies may be substituted for the originals.