University Archives & Historical Collections (UAHC) serves the public by making historical materials available for research. Our policies and procedures balance the needs of researchers with the long-term preservation and security of our holdings.
Researchers do not need to make appointments, but please be aware that some materials are stored off site. Individuals coming from out of town should contact the reference staff ahead of time to ensure that all materials are ready.
Rules and regulations
- Each researcher in the UAHC must complete a researcher application form (pdf) and present photo identification. Please note that data from this form are for statistical purposes.
- Materials from the UAHC must be used in the reading room. No materials may be checked out or leave the premises.
- Please leave all personal belongings in the lockers. Take to the table only what you need for research.
- Pencils are the only writing implements allowed in the reading room. No pens allowed.
- Laptops are permitted, and free wireless internet is available.
- No food or drink allowed in the archives.
- Handle all materials carefully.
- When handling documents and volumes, please keep the materials flat on the table.
- Keep all materials in the folder they came from and in the same order.
- Please turn off cell phones or set to vibrate. If you must take a call, please leave the reading room.
The use of certain materials is restricted for legal reasons or by the request of the donor. UAHC also reserves the right to restrict access to materials that are not arranged or are exceptionally fragile. In some cases, preservation copies may be substituted for the originals.