Due to the Covid-19 Coronavirus situation, the University Archives Reading Room is closed to researchers until further notice. During this time, we will continue to provide email and telephone reference support though responses may be delayed. If you have any questions, please contact us.
On March 16, Governor Gretchen Whitmer signed an Executive Order temporarily closing many public spaces. All academic libraries are included in this order. The Main Library is closed, but we still offer virtual services and many resources do remain available. Please see our Online and Distance Learning resource page for specific Library resources. Reference services are still available via chat and phone. We do have temporary policies for returning/renewing material.
University Archives & Historical Collections (UAHC) serves the public by making historical materials available for research. Our policies and procedures balance the needs of researchers with the long-term preservation and security of our holdings.
Researchers do not need to make appointments, but please be aware that some materials are stored off site. Individuals coming from out of town should contact the reference staff ahead of time to ensure that all materials are ready.
Rules and regulations
- Each researcher in the UAHC must complete a researcher application form (pdf) and present photo identification. Please note that data from this form are for statistical purposes.
- Materials from the UAHC must be used in the reading room. No materials may be checked out or leave the premises.
- Please leave all personal belongings in the lockers. Take to the table only what you need for research.
- Pencils are the only writing implements allowed in the reading room. No pens allowed.
- Laptops are permitted, and free wireless internet is available.
- No food or drink allowed in the archives.
- Handle all materials carefully.
- When handling documents and volumes, please keep the materials flat on the table.
- Keep all materials in the folder they came from and in the same order.
- Please turn off cell phones or set to vibrate. If you must take a call, please leave the reading room.
Virtual tour of the Conrad Hall entry and the UAHC Reading Room is available to view before visiting.
The use of certain materials is restricted for legal reasons or by the request of the donor. UAHC also reserves the right to restrict access to materials that are not arranged or are exceptionally fragile. In some cases, preservation copies may be substituted for the originals.