Library catalog is undergoing maintenance which may interfere with results. Please bear with us and we apologize for any inconvenience
MSU Student Comic Art Anthology
In March 2013, the MSU Libraries published the first ever MSU Student Comic Art Anthology!
We hope to repeat this project in future years. If you'd like to be notified when the next volume is opened for submissions, send your email to Ruth Ann Jones: email@example.com. (If you don't get a response, please leave a message at (517) 884-0910 so I can check my spam folder.)
Below are all the submission information for the 2013 edition. The eligibility and/or number of submissions per artist may possibly change in the future. The technical specification most likely will stay the same.
All currently enrolled MSU students and MSU alumni may submit material to the anthology. Limit of 3 submissions per entrant. Each submission may be as long as six pages or as short as one page.
Email your submissions to Ruth Ann Jones, MSU Libraries, by midnight on Friday, January 18, 2013. All submissions will be acknowledged. Include the following information:
- Your name
- Your email address
- Your phone number
- Your college and expected year of graduation (to be used in caption if your work is chosen)
Please submit your artwork as JPG files:
- Images may be black & white line art or grayscale (1-bit color depth or 64-bit color depth). Please do not send color images.
- Maximum size for each image is 8.5 inches (height) x 6.75 inches (width). Your file resolution must be sufficient to reproduce the work at 300 pixels per inch. (Example: if your piece is meant to be reproduced at 7 x 5 inches, it should be 2100 pixels x 1500 pixels.)
- Each submission can be as short as one page or as long as six pages.
Suggestions for large files
If your submissions are multiple pages, the file attachments may be larger than the library’s mail server allows. If you get a non-delivery notice, here are several options:
- Use a file-sharing service such as Hightail.
- Register for an account on Dropbox and create a shared folder; give firstname.lastname@example.org access to that folder.
- Burn your artwork to a CD and mail to Ruth Ann Jones, Marketing/PR Coordinator, MSU Libraries, 366 W. Circle Drive, East Lansing, MI 48824.
- If you're on campus, save your artwork to a flash drive and make an appointment with Ruth Ann Jones to stop by the Main Library to transfer your files.
Contents of the anthology will be chosen from submissions by a group of comic art scholars and practitioners, including:
- Randy Scott, curator of the MSU Libraries’ Comic Art Collection
- Sam Thomas, MSU Dept. of History (retired) and author of articles, essays, and a book on political cartoons
- Ryan Claytor, MSU Dept. of Art, Art History, and Design, and owner/author/artist of Elephant Eater comics
By submitting a work for the MSU Student Cartoonist Anthology, you agree to give the MSU Libraries a permanent, non-exclusive right to publish your work in the anthology and to use the work in advertisements for the anthology. “Non-exclusive” means that you, the artist, retain the copyright to your work and that you may use it elsewhere if desired. “Permanent” means that you may not withdraw your permission for the MSU Libraries to use your work in the anthology.
The MSU Student Cartoonist Anthology will be published by the MSU Libraries using our new Publishing Services! Artists whose work is chosen for the anthology will receive one free copy of the work and may purchase as many additional copies as desired. The retail price is expected to be about $10, but the exact price will be determined when we know how long the book will be. The book will be available for sale at the Main Library (in the MakeCentral on 2 West) and online.
Questions? Contact Ruth Ann Jones at email@example.com or (517) 884-0910.