Distance Delivery Service
The MSU Library ships material to eligible students, staff, and faculty at no charge to you.
Alert: Due to Covid19 the MSU Library has expanded our Distance Delivery Service to all users in the US and Canada regardless of distance from campus.
Placing a request:
All distance requests are made through our ILLiad system.
- For MSU owned material, you can use the ‘Get It’ button to request material and select ‘Request item for Distance User’. This will send you to our ILLiad form to submit your request.
- We can also ship interlibrary loan material. To have this service your ILLiad account needs to be set to Distance. To do this, log into your ILLiad account and go to Profile > Update Profile > and change Location to Home Address.
- We ship via UPS ground and include a pre-paid return label in each package. NOTE: In order to cut costs, pre-paid return labels are not automatically provided to addresses in Lansing, East Lansing, Okemos, and Haslett. If you are in one of these areas and need a return label you can request one by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Items can be shipped back to us or returned to campus at any of our book returns.
- Pre-paid return labels are not tied to specific books, so you can use them for any library material you wish to send back.
YOU ARE RESPONIBLE FOR SAFELY PACKAGING RETURNS
- Make sure to follow UPS guidelines to determine an appropriate shipping package: UPS shipping guidelines.
- Make sure to sufficiently tape boxes and bubble mailers. When using a bubble mailer we suggest taping once around the package both horizontally and vertically to prevent bursting.
- The value of books varies. Each shipping label covers liability up to $100 in case UPS loses or damages it due to their own negligence. We do not insure the package beyond that, but you can opt to insure the package at a higher rate if you deem it necessary.
Please see our return shipping policies for more infomation.
**Eligibility expanded to all users during Covid19**
- Any MSU affiliate that lives more than 50 miles away from campus – within the US or Canada - is eligible to receive distance services.
- 50 mile requirement is determined by zip code: Look up zipcode (or more granularly by address if it’s close.)
The following are exempt from the 50 mile requirement
- Faculty/staff whose office is located in an extension office.
- Adjunct faculty located at a hospital.
Qualifying library material
- All standard circulating MSU owned print material
- All circulating media material
- All non-circulating microform material
- All circulating interlibrary loan material
- Non-circulating MSU owned material
- MSU owned material on course reserve
- ‘Library Use Only’ interlibrary loan material
- Patron’s library account and ILLiad account must be in good standing (no fines, bills, or blocks) in order to receive Distance Services.
- Patron must verify their shipping location/home address at least once per semester.
- Patrons are responsible for all material once it’s shipped, unless it can be determined the library made an error with the shipping address or packaging of the item.
- Any applicable fines on returned material are assessed from the date the item IS SHIPPED (not when we receive it).
- All material is sent via UPS.
- A pre-paid return label is included with each package.
- Each package should contain NO MORE THAN 4 ITEMS.
- No package will exceed 50 lbs.
- We do not send internationally, with the exception of Canada.
- In very rare instances we may opt to use FedEx or the US Mail.
- Patrons are responsible for packaging and returning items; return items not packaged securely may be considered lost or damaged by the patron.
- Trackable shipping is highly encouraged (and patrons can use return labels provided by UPS).
- Patrons can return material in person (or through campus mail if applicable).
Patrons can return material to designated drop off/pick up points located in the following:
- Secchia Center
- Macomb College of Osteopathic Medicine
- MSU College of Medicine – Detroit Medical Center
- Gull Lake Library at Kellogg Biological Station
- The library reserves to right to determine the value of material shipped.
- The library reserves the right to limit what we are willing to ship based on condition.
- The library reserves the right to limit the quantity of material to be provided via Distance Services to a single patron.