Reading Room Guidelines
To maintain the integrity and security of our collections, and out of respect for others in the Reading Room, we ask researchers to abide by the following guidelines.
- Wash hands with soap and warm water prior to handling materials
- Stow all bags, purses, outerwear, food, and drink in designated cabinets.
- Silence all electronic devices and take phone calls outside the Reading Room.
- Be mindful of other patrons in the reading room; if working collaboratively, please keep conversations to a reasonable volume.
- Keep materials on the table while they are in use.
- Take photographs without flash.
- Handle items gently, turn pages slowly.
- Use foam cradles, soft weights, and gloves at the discretion of the Reading Room staff.
- Use only one box and one folder from archival collections at a time; retain the order of folders within archival boxes and papers within folders.
- Ask a staff member if you need to use any multimedia materials.
- Leave materials on the table when you are finished.
- Ask a staff member if you need assistance with anything else.
- Allow staff to inspect any items you take with you from the Reading Room.
PLEASE DO NOT:
- Bring food or beverages into the reading room.
- Bring personal or handheld scanners.
- Use pens or markers in the reading room.
- Use more than three items (books, serial issues, etc.) at a time, at the discretion of Reading Room staff.
- Make any marks in, erase any marks, or remove any tags from materials.
- Lean on collection materials.
- Place items, including tracing paper, on top of collection materials.
- Remove items, including photographs, from their sleeves.