CONSTRUCTION UPDATE! Please be aware that construction will be ongoing throughout the summer in the café area and on 2-West (impacts will include the Nursing Mother's Room). For more information on these projects, please visit our Summer Construction update page.
In addition to perfect-bound paperback books, Publishing Services also offers booklet printing as a publishing option. Booklets are printed either on ledger sheets (17" wide x 11" tall) or letter sheets (11" wide by 8.5" tall), folded in half, and bound on the center fold with staples. They can be printed in B/W or Color and can be trimmed down to smaller sizes as desired.
Booklets may be printed at a base price of three dollars per booklet plus two and one-half cents per page. Color pages are an additional ten cents per page. There is no additional set-up fee for booklets.
Bulk Purchase Discount*
- Orders of 20 or more copies will receive a 10% discount on printing costs.
- Orders of 50 or more copies will receive a 20% discount on printing costs.
- Orders of 100 or more copies will receive a 25% discount on printing costs.
- Please submit files for bulk orders at least two business days before the books are needed.
* No discount will be given on set-up or design service fees.
Since booklets are made from sheets of paper printed double-sided and folded in half, there are four pages printed on one sheet of paper. Keeping this in mind, the total page count for booklets should be a multiple of four. The exception to this would be if the booklet has a cover that is only printed on the outside, in which case, the interior pages should be a multiple of four.
Since pages are folded in half (11 x 8.5 sheets are folded to 5.5 x 8.5), booklets should be designed with a portrait orientation. If printed on 17x11 sheets and folded down to 8.5x11, the maximum width for booklets would be 8.5", and the maximum height would be 11". If a landscape orientation is desired, the maximum width is 8.5".
If you make an appointment, booklets can be printed during your appointment. Please contact the Publishing Services coordinator to make an appointment.
For electronic submissions, booklets can typically be printed within two business days. Please include any pertinent details about your print requirements when submitting files (e.g. black & white or color printing and the expected width and height of your booklet).
For bulk orders, please provide at least one week lead time to print the booklets.
How to submit files
MSU’s File Depot service is the quickest way to submit your files to Publishing Services staff for printing. Please follow the steps below to drop off your files.
- Go to filedepot.msu.edu (opens in a new window).
- Log in using your MSU NetID (*if you do not have a NetID).
- Click “Drop Off”
- Please note that we do not use Request Codes; please leave that field blank. Click Next.
- In the “To” field, add Publishing Services. The email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In the fields below, add the files you wish to send - they can all be added to a single submission.
- Click “Drop Off Files”, and you’re done!
* If you do not have an MSU NetID:
- Click “Drop Off”
- Enter your name, for organization enter MSU, and your email address.
- Please note that we do not use Request Codes; please leave that field blank.
- Click “Send Confirmation”.
- Follow the link in the email that will be sent to you.
- Proceed with step 5.