We are excited to announce that we have moved to a new catalog. The old catalog will no longer be available beginning October 1st.
Note: Borrowing from other Michigan libraries through MeLCat continues to be suspended until further notice.
To learn more information, please see our FAQ page and our policy on Personal Data Collection and Usage for Library Accounts.
The following videos were created to assist first-time or inexperienced users in creating InDesign documents to set up book files for printing. These links will redirect you to mediaspace.msu.edu.
Part 1 - New Document: This video shows you how to create a new InDesign document that is compatible with specifications in regards to the measurements of your book.
Part 2 - Selection Tool: This video demonstrates how to locate and use the selection tool. This tool can be used for a variety of tasks, including repositioning and resizing.
Part 3 - Type Tool: This video provides instruction on how to use the type tool to write and paste text into your document.
Part 4 - Shape Tool: This video shows you how to use the shape tool to create a multitude of shapes available for use within the program.
Part 5 - Line Tool: This video demonstrates the use of the line tool and how to manipulate it in different ways to fit your project.
Part 6 - Stroke: This video demonstrates how to use the stroke panel to apply thickness to objects other than text, such as text boxes, photos, and shapes.
Part 7 - Images: This video provides instruction on how to place images in your document.
Book Design Workshop Presentation:
The Book Design Workshop presentation with Adobe InDesign is available for download in PDF format. The presentation is divided into three parts: about our services, about general book design, and tools available for book design using Adobe InDesign. The first part covers basic details about our services: pricing, timing, file requirements, printing specifications, and copyright. The second part of the presentation discusses the basics of designing a book interior, what goes on a title and copyright page, and what not to do when designing a book. The final part provides an introduction to Adobe InDesign, the workspace, and useful tools for book design such as paragraph and character styles, generating a table of contents, and working with images.
Cover Template Generator:
If you are using InDesign to create your cover, we’ve written a script that will generate a cover template for you. If you’re unfamiliar with installing and using scripts into InDesign, here are the steps:
- Download* the Publishing_Services_Cover_Template.jsx to your computer.
- Open InDesign
- From the Menu Bar, Click Window --> Utilities --> Scripts to open the Scripts panel.
- Right-click on the User folder in the Scripts Panel and select Reveal in Explorer (PC) or Reveal in Finder (Mac).
- Drag the script you downloaded into the Scripts Panel folder.
- Double-click the script in InDesign’s Script Panel to run it.
- In the pop-up dialog box, type in the number of pages in your book along with the trim width and height.
- The script will create the cover template in a new document for you.
* To download the file, "right-click" on the file's name Publishing_Services_Cover_Template.jsx and select "Save..." or "Save as..."