Starting on Thursday, December 23, 2021, MeLCat Borrowing and Lending will be suspended while the MSU Libraries undergoes a significant software transition.
MSU students, staff, and faculty can continue to utilize interlibrary loan by placing requests through the MSU Libraries Interlibrary Services department. Community patrons will not be able to use MeLCat through the MSU Libraries during this time, but they can continue to do so using their local public library.
Publishing Services Book Pricing
Pricing for all books will be as follows:
$10.00 Setup *
- Staff will assess files for print readiness.
- Each revision after the original setup will be charged $5.00.
- Setup Fee is waived for currently enrolled MSU students.
*Additional formatting or consultation will be charged at a rate of $10.00 per quarter hour.
Per-Book Printing Costs
After the initial setup, each book is printed on a price-per-page basis:
- Black and white interiors: Eight dollars base price plus two and one-half cents per page.
- Color-printed interiors: additional ten cents per page.
- Mixed B/W and Color interiors: additional ten cents per color-printed page. There may be an additional formatting costs if B/W pages are composite RGB or CMYK black.
Bulk Purchase Discount*
- Orders of 20 or more copies will receive a 10% discount on printing costs.
- Orders of 50 or more copies will receive a 20% discount on printing costs.
- Orders of 100 or more copies will receive a 25% discount on printing costs.
- Please submit files for bulk orders at least one week before the books are needed.**
* No discount will be given on set-up or design service fees.
** If you would like to use specialty paper (gloss, satin, or cream) for bulk orders, please give one month's advance notice to ensure enough stock is available for your order.
Cover Design, Book Formatting, File Conversion, and Consultation Services
Receive a comprehensive cover design to fit your content and receive assistance with publishing-related tasks such as formatting the layout of your book or converting file types.
- Forty dollars per hour, billed in quarter-hour increments.
- Patrons must provide photos, illustrations, and copy (such as book blurb, author biography, or reviewer quotes).
- If desired, patrons may provide an ISBN. ISBNs are available, at cost, from Bowker Identifier Services. The Libraries do not assign ISBNs to books, but we can provide a barcode once an ISBN is provided.
- Staff will create the cover design.
- Only available as time permits, at the discretion of publishing services staff and limited to a maximum of eight hours.
Interior Paper Options
Different paper types are available:
- Standard white paper: no additional charge
- Cream-colored paper: additional $0.01 per page
- Satin (smooth semi-gloss) paper: additional $0.01 per page
- Glossy photo stock: additional $0.03 per page
- Patrons may provide their own 8.5 x 11" paper, subject to a binding test.
Cover Paper Options
Gloss, satin (smooth semi-gloss), and matte cover stocks are available. There is no difference in price.