Return to Operations FAQ
As the Michigan State University Libraries reopen, the most important consideration is the health and safety of employees and patrons. The University and the Libraries have taken steps to mitigate risk by altering operations, modifying physical spaces, and increasing cleaning and sanitation measures with the guidance of the university officials as well as federal, state, and local officials, and public health agencies.
While these modifications provide a way for the Libraries to reopen in as safe a manner as possible, risk to employees and patrons cannot be fully mitigated. Employees who can work from home should continue to do so, and patrons should rely on virtual services as much as possible.
This FAQ is a living document. As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve, protocols and approaches to health and safety are likely to change. This page will be updated regularly as more information becomes available.
Is a mask required?
Yes - Beginning August 1st, all individuals are required to wear masks indoors in all campus buildings, including the Libraries.
Is a daily health screening required?
No, a daily health screening form is no longer required.
What if I am feeling unwell?
You should continue to practice self-monitoring, staying at your place of residence and contact a health care provider if you experience COVID 19 or flu like symptoms.
What if I have been exposed to someone who is ill or tested positive for COVID 19?
- If you test positive for COVID-19, even if you do not have symptoms, you must isolate yourself and avoid any contact with others. Please contact MSU's COVID-19 Triage Hotline at 855-958-2678 to report and assist in contact tracing efforts. For employees, that means not coming to work. For on-campus students, isolation space will be provided to you. Off-campus students should remain in a specific room and use a separate bathroom, if available. Visit the CDC website for more information.
- If you are unvaccinated and a close contact with someone with COVID-19, you should quarantine and stay home for 14 days after your last exposure. Again, for employees, that means staying home. For on-campus students, quarantine space will be provided to you. Off-campus students should remain in a specific room and use a separate bathroom if available while under quarantine. If you are a close contact and are vaccinated, you do not need to quarantine but should self-monitor for any symptoms.
What other prevention measures are in place for Fall semester 2021?
- Maintain proper hygiene and health practices (frequent hand washing, routinely cleaning your living space or workspace).
- Adhere to all signage and instructions posted by MSU or public health authorities.
- Follow all applicable state and public health guidance, as well as cooperating with public health authorities (including contact tracing).
Who’s cleaning the desk, keyboards, phone at our shared desk and how?
Employees will be responsible for cleaning their own workstations and shared touch points throughout the day. Spray disinfectant will be provided.
What should the cleaning standard be for those with their own workstation?
University guidelines ask employees to clean their workstation twice daily with disinfecting spray.
How are you handling cleaning-product related allergies?
Please let your supervisor and RCPD know if you have any allergies to cleaning products that may impact your health if they are used for office sanitization. We will work on alternatives on a case-by-case basis.
Are there any changes or recommendations around restroom use?
Touch points in high use restrooms will be cleaned regularly in the Main Library. Other restrooms will be cleaned once per day. Restrooms in the Gast Business Library and Conrad Hall are considered high use and are also scheduled to be cleaned throughout the day.
How do we handle elevators?
Elevators no longer have capacity limits, but they have been equipped with UV light cleaners to help clean the air of contaminants.
How do we handle stairwells that are very close? Do we make the north stairwell one way?
Stairwells cannot be made one-way or restricted to staff use only because of fire code considerations. Staff are advised to use lesser-used stairwells in the east and west wing.
Is hand sanitizer available for individual desks? What about disinfecting wipes?
Disinfecting spray will be available in all areas. Disinfecting wipes, if available, will be used for computers and other areas where spray might cause damage to equipment. Hand sanitizer units have been installed in many parts of the building and will be available in staff common areas.
Is food and drink allowed?
Employees working in cubicles may eat and drink in their cubicles if they do so with their mask on between bites/sips. Those with fully enclosed offices can remove their masks if the door is closed.
We will continue to make conference rooms available to staff who want to eat outside of their cubicle. Up to 4 staff may eat in the staff lounge (with social distancing).
Please use the Outlook calendar to reserve the space for 30 minutes maximum to ensure that others can access these spaces.
- Conference Room E118
- W441A + C Touchdown Rooms (NEW)
- W441B Small Group Room (NEW)
- W418D Small Group Room (NEW)
- W418E Conference Room (NEW)
WG21 Social Distancing Break Room (NEW)(Space needed for Facilities use for a few weeks, Jay Johnson will communicate with staff when this space is available again.)
- Conference Rooms A + B on 4 West
Library patrons may eat and drink in the Sparty’s Café zone if they do so with their mask on between bites/sips. This zone encompasses the entire Sparty’s Café space and extends to the Main Office/Front West Wing elevators.
Are Cyber Café microwaves still available for lunch warming up, or will staff need to use the 4th floor kitchen?
Cyber cafe microwaves have been removed. Microwave ovens and refrigerators in staff areas are available, but staff are expected to use disinfecting cleaner on all common touchpoints before and after use.
Will access to the stacks be restricted for staff?
The Libraries’ bookstacks will be restricted to staff only use until August 23, 2021.