Material with the Remote Storage location in the MSU Library catalog is housed in North Lansing. To request an item from Remote Storage, click on the Get it! button located in the catalog record. After logging in with your MSU NetID or Community Borrower ID, follow the prompts to select the materials that you need.
If there is no Get it! button present, or if you need to borrow more than 10 volumes of a title, please email LIB.firstname.lastname@example.org and include your name, title of the item, volumes needed, and MSU NetID or community borrower barcode number.
Requested items are picked up every weekday (except University holidays or days when the MSU Main Library is closed). Material requested before 2:00 p.m. Monday-Friday will be available at the Main Library Patron Services desk that same day by 5:00 p.m. Material requested after 2:00 p.m. Monday-Friday will be available by 5:00 p.m. the next open weekday. Material requested on weekends, holidays, closed days, or after 2:00 p.m. Friday will be available by 5:00 p.m. Monday (or the next open weekday).
If you wish to request US Government Documents from Remote Storage but are not eligible for (or do not wish to obtain) an MSU Library Community Card, please email LIB.email@example.com.
Requesting Library Items from Gull Lake Library
Because the Gull Lake Library is not located at MSU in East Lansing, you may request to have materials delivered to the main campus. In order to retrieve materials from Gull Lake, you will need to read through the lending criteria and fill out the following forms. Please note that if the lending criteria has not been met, the library may not fill your request.
For Book Requests:
- A valid MSU ID is required.
- Eligible books are those that are held exclusively at Gull Lake, or Main Library books which are currently checked out.
- Gull Lake bound journals, unbound journals and reference are non-circulating.
- Only one book per form may be requested.
- Gull Lake Branch Library books have a loan period of two weeks and are renewable online.
Once you have submitted the Book Retrieval Request Form, you will be notified by e-mail that your materials are available for pick up at the Main Library on campus. Books and other loan requests are shipped to the main campus.
For Article Requests:
- A valid MSU ID is required
- Articles must be from journals held exclusively at Gull Lake. Exceptions are for Main Library journals which are currently at binding. If a patron has access to electronic journals, and the article requested is part of MSU's e-subscription, an e-mail will be sent directing the patron to this resource.
- Exceptions are not made for issues or volumes that are temporarily off the shelf at the main library.
- Please be aware that copyright law prohibits the library from photocopying multiple articles from the same issue of a journal.
- Only one article per form may be requested.
Once you have submitted the Article Retrieval Request Form, it will be scanned as a pdf. file and sent to the e-mail address you provide on the form.
Use the In Process / On Order Form to request rush processing of material shown in the catalog as UNDER CONSIDERATION, IN PROCESS, BEING PROCESSED, or ORDERED. This material has arrived in the library. Although it is generally not ready for six weeks, your request will result in priority handling for you.
What happens after this form is submitted? On the next business day, staff will look for requested material and processing will begin or staff will put a note in our records that this item will be given priority handling for you when it arrives in the MSU Libraries.
To request document delivery or material that MSU does not own, submit a request through the Interlibrary Loan Department.