Some areas of the Main Library are now open 9am-5pm, Monday-Friday and 12pm to 5pm on Saturday and Sunday. These areas include main-floor access to Circulation as well as our study and computing space on 1 East with access to MSU printing. As of Feb. 1st, we opened 1 West. Our total capacity at this time is 120 people. We also now have touchless lockers, where you may pick up materials. Outside of safety, our top priority is to provide access to all of our collections. We continue to offer virtual services. We also are paging materials and will continue to mail materials to faculty, staff, and students living off-campus. We encourage you to use our convenient distance services. Please see our Online and Distance Learning resource page for more information.
Using the Library - Things to Know
As the Libraries open to the public, there are a few changes to our services and operations. Please review the following information, and don't hesitate to ask for help at any of our service desks!
Update: The first floor study spaces are now open with limited capacity. This space includes computers (PC and Macs) and access to MSU Print.
The first floor study space is open from 9am-5pm, Monday-Friday, and 12pm-5pm, Saturday and Sunday. This space is limited to MSU Students, Faculty, and Staff, and a valid MSU ID is required for entry. This space has a maximum capacity of 120 people - 60 in the east study space and 60 in the west study space.
All other study spaces in the building are currently closed.
Update: The lobby print station is open.
All print jobs will now be sent to the first floor south lobby print station, room E102 for release. The print station is open all hours that the library is open.
Printing from a desktop computer in the Library:
- In the document you wish to print, select “File,” “Print” and choose black and white or color printer.
- Retrieve print job
Printing from your laptop:
- Go to print.msu.edu.
- Click “Web Print” in the left-hand column.
- Click “Submit a Job”.
- From the library printers choose B/W simplex or duplex or Color simplex or duplex. Click “Print Options and Account Selection”.
- Enter the number of copies needed and click “Upload Documents”.
- Upload documents and click “Upload & Complete”.
- Retrieve print job.
Retrieving a print job:
- You may go to the print station to pick up your print.
- Tell the staff your MSU NetID and they will print your documents.
MakeCentral Poster Printing:
- The MakeCentral Space is closed, but we are still printing posters.
- Please fill out the form, and upload your poster pdf (max size 20mb).
- MakeCentral staff will contact you within 24 hours to finalize your poster print.
Checking Out Library Material
Click the “Get it!” button in the catalog for an item you would like. You will see all delivery/checkout methods available for that item. You may see any of the following:
- Self Service - Most of the stacks will be closed to the public; however, if the item you want is in open stacks, you may retrieve it yourself.
- Paged for Pick Up at Circulation – You will be notified by email when the item you have requested is available for pick up at Circulation.
- Paged for Pick Up at Luxer One Locker – You will be notified by email when the item you have requested is available for pick up in a contactless delivery Luxer One Locker.
- Request Book Chapter (for MSU Students, Staff and Faculty) – You will be emailed the book chapter.
- Faculty/Staff Office Delivery (for MSU Faculty and Staff Only) – We will mail your item to your office.
- Distance Delivery Services (for MSU Students, Staff and Faculty) – We will mail your item to your home address. Not available for those living on campus.
- Search Other Libraries – Request checked out material from other libraries.
- Digital Lending Request (for MSU Students, Staff and Faculty) – You will be emailed a short-term use link to a digital copy of a Reserve Reading item.
To select any of the options, click the link provided and follow the prompts.
Returning Library Material
Library material may be returned to the Library Return Dropboxes at the Main Library. Returned materials are being quarantined for at least 24 hours before they are checked in. After the quarantine period, returned materials will be backdated to the date of return to avoid fines.
- High use Reserve Reading material is being scanned when it is not possible to purchase a digital copy of the material.
- Reserve Reading material that is not scanned may be checked out for 3 days, but it will be quarantined for 24 hours upon return. You must come to Circulation to check this material out.
- Reserve Reading material that has been scanned has a location code of mncdl **MSU Reserve Digital**. To request this material, click the “Get it!” button in the catalog and follow the prompts. You will be emailed a short-term link to the material within 15 minutes of submitting your request.